Do You Need a Special License to Tow a Trailer?

There are many reasons to tow a trailer, ranging from vehicle transport to moving and beyond. With this vast array of tasks, you may wonder about different permit requirements. The guide below explains the type of license you need to tow a trailer or car hauler.

You Do Not Need a Special License for Most Trailer Hauling Tasks

Most trailer tow tasks do not require a special license, such as a commercial driver’s license (CDL). This license is required for large loads or select load types but not for routine projects. You will not need an additional license to rent a trailer for an upcoming move, a landscaping project, hauling lumber, etc.

What You Need to Rent a Tow Trailer

Every trailer rental company has its own requirements for a rental contract. Here at Easy Car Haulers, we make the process of renting a trailer as easy as possible. You will need the following items:

  • A valid driver’s license
  • Proof of insurance
  • An accepted form of payment that covers the cost of the reservation and the refundable deposit

You will also need a vehicle capable of hauling the trailer and a compatible hitch. We have hitches available for rent as needed. You will receive your deposit once you return the trailer with no new damage or missing parts.

Contact Easy Car Haulers at (888) 672-1206 for more information about renting a car hauler or enclosed trailer.

Do You Need Special Training to Drive with a Trailer?

Driving with a trailer attached is different than driving a standalone vehicle. The weight distribution is different, which means that your vehicle will respond differently when you brake, turn, and accelerate. We recommend practicing before you start on your trip so that you can get used to the feel of the vehicle.

Easy Car Haulers has a Beginner’s Guide to Driving with a Trailer Attached. It explains how to navigate various scenarios, such as driving around corners or parking. Check out that guide and our trailer hauling blog for proven tips from the pros.

When You Would Need a CDL to Haul a Trailer

CDL regulations vary by state. Michigan’s laws dictate that a driver must have a CDL when transporting a vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more. You would also need a CDL to drive a vehicle designed to transport 16 people or more. These tasks would require more heavy-duty equipment than most trailer rental companies have available.